Vehicle crossings and entrances

A vehicle crossing describes the formed access for vehicles off a public road into private property. The vehicle crossing will usually replace a portion of the public footpath or grass berm.

Do I need a permit to have a vehicle crossing built?

Yes, a permit is required to construct or upgrade a vehicle crossing.

To apply for a vehicle crossing, please complete the application below for vehicle crossing and submit with the following information:

  • Application for Vehicle Crossing(PDF, 262KB)

  • A site plan showing the proposed crossing and any other crossings at the site. The plan should also show the approximate location of the nearest street/road intersections with distances.

  • The width of the crossing at the property boundary.

  • The method of control of stormwater.

We will notify you within 10 working days of receiving the application. This will be done in writing and you will then be free to start the work (work should not be started until written notification is received).

How long is a permit valid for?

It is valid for six months from the date of issue. The permit will expire if the vehicle crossing has not been completed within six months, however, you can apply to Council for a six month extension.

Who is responsible for the vehicle crossing construction and maintenance?

All new vehicle crossings must be constructed by a Council-approved contractor. As the property owner, you are responsible for submitting the application and arranging for the construction. Council will be responsible for the on-going maintenance of the crossing following construction.

Existing vehicle crossings will need to comply with:

  • Our District Plan requirements - for more information please go to Transport Rules(PDF, 160KB) .

  • Council specifications - please contact us if you would like your vehicle crossing assessed for compliance.

Council does not have any obligation to maintain or repair any vehicle crossings which are non-compliant. The property owner is therefore solely responsible for any on-going maintenance costs of non-compliant vehicle crossings.

Who do I contact if I need to construct a vehicle crossing onto a State Highway?

Please contact the New Zealand Transport Agency who authorises vehicle crossings onto state highways.

Will I need any other permits or consents?

You may also need Resource Consent depending on the width of the entrance and the position of the crossing in relation to road and side boundaries. Some vehicle crossings need to be built as part of a land subdivision. Consultants or contractors building the subdivision should contact Council to have the work approved.

Vehicle Crossing Application Forms