What kind of personal data we collect
Waitaki District Council collects only the personal data you provide Waitaki District Council (including your name, email address, and contact telephone numbers). We may also keep a record of any information that you acquire from Waitaki District Council.
Where we collect personal data from
Waitaki District Council collects personal data from the following sources:
- By you contacting us enquiring about information on Waitaki district, Waitaki District Council services or anything on this website
- Directly from you when you register and request Waitaki District Council to supply you with information or services in connection with this website
- By you conducting transactions through the website
- Indirectly through your use of this website and the services and functionality offered through it
How we use your personal data
Waitaki District Council uses your personal data for the following purposes:
Replying to your queries
- Processing your application for registration for use of Waitaki District Council services or to gain access to information on this website made available only to registered users
- Providing you with information about Waitaki district, Waitaki District Council and Council services
- Providing you with services
- Complying with relevant legislation and regulations
- Any specific purpose which Waitaki District Council notifies you of at the time personal data is collected
- Processing transactions that you may conduct through the website
Waitaki District Council may disclose information about you (including your identity) to a third party if the Council is requested to do so in the course of a criminal or other legal investigation, or if the Council determines that disclosure is necessary in connection with any complaint regarding your use of this website.
Where and how we store your personal information
We store most of our personal information in New Zealand or in Australia. We store personal information electronically and physically. We store electronic information in facilities in New Zealand and overseas that we manage and that are managed by third parties, including cloud storage.
How we protect your information
We comply with New Zealand law that sets out how to protect both Waitaki District Council and customer information.
We protect your information in a range of ways:
- We have a cybersecurity team that looks after and protects your information. This team helps prevent, detect, and respond to cybersecurity events and incidents.
- We train all our customer-facing staff on privacy and security, to ensure knowledge and understanding of the Local Government Act, Privacy Act, and the Public Records Act.
- We verify third parties we work with when we share personal information to make sure they work to agreed standards.
How we protect your information when we transfer it outside of the Waitaki District Council
When we transfer your information outside Waitaki District Council it may be to a company in New Zealand or overseas. Our contract with the company will require the company to protect your personal information. We’ll use reasonable security safeguards, like file encryption, to protect your personal information.
What we do if a privacy breach occurs
If we believe that a privacy breach has occurred, we’ll identify the issue and take steps to minimise any harm. If we believe the breach has caused, or is likely to cause serious harm, we’ll contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner. We may also contact customers who may be affected by the breach. If you believe a privacy breach has occurred, please contact us as soon as possible.
How you can access/amend your personal data
You may access your personal data that Waitaki District Council holds by emailing us at email@example.com. Waitaki District Council will provide you with a copy of the personal data Waitaki District Council keeps about you.
You may request that the personal data Waitaki District Council holds about you be corrected by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If Waitaki District Council agrees that your personal data is to be corrected, we will provide you with an amended record.
How long we hold personal data
Waitaki District Council will keep your personal data only for as long as necessary to achieve the purpose for which it was collected.
When we provide services, we want to make them easy, useful and reliable. Where services are delivered on the internet, this sometimes involves placing small amounts of information on your device (for example, your computer or mobile phone). These include small files known as cookies. They cannot be used to identify you personally. These pieces of information are used to improve services for you.
There are two types of cookie you may encounter when using this site:
- First party cookies: these are our own cookies, controlled by us and used to provide information about usage of our site.
- Third party cookies: these are cookies found in other companies' internet tools which we are using to enhance our site.
Some third-party tools used on this website, such as Google Maps, may set additional cookies. Waitaki District Council has no control over cookies set by third parties and assumes no responsibility for them.
How to refuse or delete cookies
Find out more