Why did I get an infringement notice?

If you break the rules, we may fine you $200 on the spot, however we can use discretion. Some reasons why we issue infringement notices include:

  • Freedom camping in a prohibited area
  • Freedom camping in a non-certified self-contained vehicle or tent
  • Freedom camping in a restricted area in breach of conditions that apply to that area
  • Causing damage to the area
  • Depositing waste inappropriately

Serious offences under the Freedom Camping Act 2011 may result in a fine on a prosecution of up to $10,000.

Got a freedom camping fine?

If you have a Freedom Camping Infringement Fine to pay, you can pay the full amount by:

Credit card

Pay online by credit card

You can pay a freedom camping fine using a credit card online. We accept Visa and MasterCard only. Due to the bank security restrictions, currently payments are only accepted from credit cards issued in the following countries: New Zealand, Australia, United Kingdom, Canada, USA and Germany.

Please note

  • An infringement notice must be paid in full.
  • A merchant fee of 2% normally applies to the payment, which is charged by the credit card and merchant service providers. Council does not retain any part of this fee.
  • You should check with the Bank that issued your credit card for details about other fees or charges that may also apply, as this credit card transaction is carried out in terms of the arrangement between you and your card issuer.
  • Transactions are processed by Council within three working days of the payment.
  • At the end of a transaction, you will be given a reference number. Receipts for online payments are not available, however you can either print the screen or note down the details for future reference.
  • Please contact us regarding refunds for overpayments or incorrect payments.

Terms and Conditions

Please acknowledge you have read and understood the Terms and Conditions before proceeding to Waitaki e-Services.

Click here to view form.

Bank transfer

Pay by bank transfer

You can arrange with your bank to pay infringement notices by telephone or Internet banking.

Please use the following details when making your payment by online banking to ensure that it will be receipted correctly.

Bank: Bank of New Zealand (BNZ)
Account name: Waitaki District Council
Account number: 02 0940 0156400 00

It is essential that you include the required information in the 'Particulars', 'Code' and 'Reference' columns when you make a payment. Without this information, we may not be able to allocate your money to your outstanding payment – which could result in unnecessary problems and delays

How to set up a bank transfer correctly

  • Enter the correct information in each of the 3 fields your bank provides for you; 'Particulars', 'Code', and 'Reference'.
Particulars Code Reference
Enter the type of infringement: 'FREEDOM CAMPING' "INFRINGEMENT".

Enter the Infringement Number from theNotice.

The numberis found at the top of the infringement notice (currently up to four digits e.g. IN9999).

Please make sure the reference starts with the letters "IN" followed by the infringement number.

  • Use the samples below to ensure you enter the correct Infringement Notice number on the notice.

Infringment notice

In person

Pay in person

If you would like to pay by cash, EFTPOS or Credit Card* at the Council offices, you are welcome to visit

  • The main Council office at 20 Thames Street, Oamaru. or
  • our service centre at 54 Tiverton Street, Palmerston.

Please note*: a 1.5% merchant fee will be charged for credit cards to cover the cost of this payment option.

What if I want to appeal a freedom camping fine?

If you have been given an Infringement Notice and think you have been unfairly fined, you can make an appeal using Freedom Camping Infringement explanation form(PDF, 312KB).

  • Email: service@waitaki.govt.nz
  • Drop in: to our Council office, 20 Thames Street, Oamaru
  • Mail to: Waitaki District Council, Private Bag 50058, Oamaru 9444, New Zealand.

Application for exemption to restrictions

If you want to apply for an exemption to freedom camp in a prohibited area identified in the bylaw or if you cannot meet all of the general rules e.g. staying longer than three nights, you must allow 20 working days for Council to consider your written application.