Getting Help

​​​Setting up a food business

If you are planning to set up a new food business or purchase an existing business,  we are here to help. The council’s Environmental Health Officer will be able to advise you of the requirements to operate a food business in the Waitaki district.

Depending on your plans, you may also need to talk to our Planning, Building and Alcohol teams. Please give us a call on  (03) 433 0300 to arrange an appointment. 

Environmental Health OfficerLouise Ashcroft 
Alcohol Licensing Inspector 
( If your business is involved in the sale of alcohol )
Carolyn Van Zyl - Alcohol
Building and/or Drainage and PlumbingBuilding team duty officer - Building
PlanningPlanning team duty officer - Planning


We recommend that anyone who is making or selling food completes food safety qualifications. Training is available from:


For current resources, practical advice and information on the Food Act 2014, refer to MPI-Food Safety​.

You can also subscribe to Food Act 2014 website updates​.

Page reviewed: 15 Aug 2019 3:45pm