Winter drive safety tips
Is your car winter roadworthy?
- Check brakes, wiper blades, battery, tyre pressure and tread.
- Check all your lights are in working order.
- Use your headlights, not park lights in low light conditions.
- Clear the ice off all your windows before you start up - use cold water or an ice scraper.
Plan your trip
- Check road conditions and choose safety over convenience to select your route.
- For 24 hour road conditions and road closure information, call 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49).
- Dress for the conditions - carry warm clothes in case you get stuck or break down. For a long trip have some food and water in the car.
- Towing is not recommended in icy conditions.
Drive to the conditions
- Keep speed down - watch for shaded areas where ice may stay all day.
- Increase following distance to four seconds.
- Avoid sudden movements - accelerate smoothly and brake very gently.
- Fit chains on the driving wheels of the vehicle.
- You need chains on the front wheels to ensure you have steering control when going downhill on icy roads.
- To brake, pump the brake in short rapid bursts rather than pressing long and hard.
Page reviewed: 16 May 2016 4:12pm