​​​​​Building Consent

A building consent is Council approval (acting as the Building Consent Authority) for you to carry out building work at a specified site. It will guarantee that the work detailed in the consent is compliant with the New Zealand Building Code.  Most building work requires a building consent, but some minor building work is exempt under the Act. Here are some examples of work that requires a consent:

  • any structural building including new buildings, additions, alterations, accessory buildings (sheds), and re-piling
  • plumbing and drainage
  • heating (fireplaces), ventilation and air conditioning systems
  • siteworks for a building
  • retaining walls higher than 1.5 metres, or retaining walls with a building or driveway near the top
  • fences higher than 2.5 metres and any swimming pool fence
  • swimming pools
  • decks more than 1.5 metres from ground level.

If you are buying a relocatable house, we would recommend that you get an engineer's report prior to relocating it.

For further information about the building consent application process, please read the Building Consent Application Guideline (522 KB).

Building performance website has more information about building consents and how to make an application.

Building CodeHub helps you to access what you need to design and construct buildings that comply with the Building Code. 

Building-related Standards on the Standards New Zealand website has the Standards and further information.

Five commonly used building Standards and a handbook are now free to download from the Standards New Zealand website.

Page reviewed: 10 Sep 2018 3:11pm