Applying for a building consent

​​​A building consent is Council approval (acting as the Building Consent Authority) for you to carry out building work at a specified site. It will guarantee that the work detailed in the consent is compliant with the New Zealand Building Code.

Useful link: Building Consent ​Application Guideline

When the application should be made

If you intend to carry out building work, you must apply for a building consent before the work begins. In some cases, for minor building work, a building consent is not required (as outlined in sections 41 and 43 and Schedule 1 of the Building Act), but it is best to confirm this before you proceed. The MBIE building performance website has further information, including guidance on when a structure is a vehicle or building. 

For more information please visit the MBIE building performance website.

Who the application should be made to

An application for a building consent must be made to Council as the building consent authority for the Waitaki District. In order to issue building consents, Council undertakes an accreditation and registration process.

What the application must include

A building consent application must be on Form 2 from the Building (Forms) Regulations 2004. 

Download Building Consent A​​pplication Form (PDF, 320KB)

​Check out Guidance to complete building consent application (PDF, 2.84MB)

It must include the following information:

    • street address
    • legal description of land where the building is located
    • building name
    • number of levels, including ground level and any levels below
    • level and unit number
    • area: total floor affected by building work
    • current, lawfully established use, including the number of occupants per level and per use.
  • N
    • mailing address
    • phone numbers
    • fax number
    • email address.
    • name and details (as above) of the agent (only required if an application is being made on behalf of the owner).
    • The year when the building was first constructed.

    • See section on Waivers and modifications of the building code on building performance website.

The Building Act 2004 requires your building consent application  to be accompanied by:

    • the charge fixed by Council (as the Building Consent Authority)
    • the plans and specifications required by regulations or, if there are no requirements in regulations, as required by Council
    • the Project Information Memorandum PIM (only if the owner has applied for one)
    • any development contribution notice, and any resource consent certificate attached under section 37 and a list of the specified systems for the building (from the compliance schedule) whether the systems are existing, new, altered or removed
    • any other information the building consent authority reasonably requires.

All plans must be A3 size and completed in ink.

For more guidance on supplying quality drawings to support your building consent application, please visit MBIE Building Performance website.

A building consent application must include one of the listed user guides which best suits the work. 

In some cases where building work also includes the installation of a heater, a heater user guide must also be completed, e.g. a new dwelling or minor work if the heater is not shown within the other plans. 

Application forms to connect to Council services should be submitted with the building consent application. 

Where a new vehicle entrance is being created, applicants should apply to Councils Roading Department during the design stages to approve the position and ensure it is in a complying location. ​​

Cost of applying for the building consent

A deposit is required at the time of application. Consents fees are charged on an actual and reasonable basis. Please refer to fees and charges page for current consent costs. 

Where do I send my application?

Applications can be dropped at our Council offices in Oamaru, the Waihemo Service Centre in Palmerston, or posted to: Waitaki District Council, Private Bag 50058, Oamaru 9444.  

If you have any queries or need help, please contact the Building Control team, phone 03 433 0300 or email

How long it will take to process

Council (as the Building Consent Authority) has 20 working days from the date the application for a building consent is received to decide whether to refuse or grant the application. We may request more information about the application within 20 working days from the date the application is received. If a request is made, the 20-working-day period is suspended until we receive this information. 

Please note:
  • Multi proof consents will be processed within 10 working days.  

  • This time is not suspended if the application has to go to Fire and Emergency N ew Zealand  (see below)

  • Work must not begin on the project until a building consent (and resource consent if required) has been granted and issued.

Fire and Emergency New Zealand

As the building consent authority, Council must forward certain applications (specified by the Chief Executive of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment in a Gazette notice), upon receipt, to Fire and Emergency New Zealand.

Fire and Emergency New Zealand may, within 10 working days, provide a memorandum to Council in the building consent application advising on the provisions for means of escape from fire and the need for people authorised by law to enter the building for firefighting. 

Fire and Emergency New Zealand must not give advice in the memorandum that requires the building to meet performance criteria that exceed the requirements of the Building Code. If the Commission does not provide the memorandum to Council within 10 working days, we may proceed with determining the application without it.

Staged consents

You may make a series of building consent applications for stages of the proposed building work. This may be useful where the scope of the work can be clearly defined in each case. If you wish to occupy parts of the building during construction, you can apply to Council (as the territorial authority) for a certificate for public use. This will avoid the owner being in breach of section 363 of the Act. Please discuss this with us if you think a staged consent might apply to your building project.

Producer statements

Producer Statements were developed by the engineering profession. Producer Statements for structural design are normally issued by a design professional to clarify how certain specified design requirements meet the Building Code. 

Producer Statements can be accepted and considered as part of the plans or specifications, however, they have no legal status under the Building Act. They assist Council in deciding whether we are satisfied, on reasonable grounds, that the provisions of the building code will be met if the building work is completed in accordance with the plans and specifications.

Restricted building work

Restricted building work is design and building work that is so critical to the integrity of a residential building that it can only be carried out or supervised by a licensed building practitioner. For more information on restricted building work go to building performance website.

Licensed building practitioners are designers, carpenters, brick and blocklayers, roofers, external plasterers, site and foundations specialists who have been assessed to be competent to carry out work essential to a residential building's structure or weather-tightness. If an application for a building consent relates to restricted building work, the name of the licensed building practitioner carrying out or supervising that work must be stated in the application (see section 45(1)(e) of the Act).

Any plans and specifications used in an application for a building consent in relation to restricted building work must be prepared and certified by, or under the supervision of, one or more licensed building practitioners. These must be licensed building practitioners whose licenses authorise them to certify the plans and specifications (see section 45(2)-(4) of the Act). For more information please go to the licensed building practitioners page.


Page reviewed: 11 Dec 2018 11:09am