Why have the laws been changed?
What is classed as a pool?
Do I have to fence my pool?
- The maximum depth is less than 400mm.
- The walls of the pool are 1.2m or more above the ground with no step-ups, hand holds or projections enabling a child to climb.
- The pool is an indoor residential pool, or is inside a building.
- The pool has a waiver or modification granted by the Council.
Do I have to fence my temporary inflatable pool?
I have an existing pool/spa that complied with the Fencing of Swimming Pools Act. What do I do?
I have an existing pool/spa that doesn’t comply with the new law. What do I do?
I want to install or construct a new pool, what do I need to do?
- build or install new swimming or spa pools and associated fences;
- construct new or alter existing pool fencing; or
- construct or install pool drainage and water supply protection systems.
- undertake earthworks to build or install a new swimming pool.
If you are unsure, we recommend that you contact a Building Officer at the Council on 03 433 0300 to discuss your fencing or pool requirements.
I’m connected to the Council water mains, how do I fill my pool?
Will I need to have on-going pool inspections, and what is the cost?
What happens if my pool is inspected and found non-compliant?
How do I empty my pool?
Where can I go for further information?