Consents and PIMs
Before you begin
The Building Act
When is a building consent required?
Apply for an amendment or alteration
- comply as nearly as is reasonably practicable with the Building Code provisions for means of escape from fire and access and facilities for people with disabilities (if required)
- continue to comply with the other provisions of the Building Code to at least the same extent as before the alteration.
- if the building were to comply with the relevant provisions of the Building Code, the alteration would not take place
- the alterations will result in improvements to the means of escape from fire or access and facilities for people with disabilities
- the improvements outweigh any detriment likely to arise as a result of the other non-compliance with the Code.
Building work that does not require a building consent
Restricted building work
Licensed Building Practitioners (LBPs)
Property Information Memorandum (PIM)
Public access while building or altering a public building
Page reviewed: 11 Apr 2019 1:23pm