Why do I get an infringement notice?
- Freedom camping in a prohibited area
- Freedom camping in a non-certified self-contained vehicle or tent
- Freedom camping in a restricted area in breach of conditions that apply to that area
- Causing damage to the area
- Depositing waste inappropriately
Got a freedom camping fine?
If you have a Freedom Camping Infringement Fine to pay, you can pay the
If you would like to pay by cash, cheque, EFTPOS or Credit Card* at the Council offices, you are welcome to visit
- The main Council office at 20 Thames Street, Oamaru. or
- our service centre at 54 Tiverton Street, Palmerston.
: a 1.5% merchant fee will be charged for credit cards to cover the cost of this payment option.
Telephone or internet banking ( bank transfer)
You can arrange with your bank to pay infringement notices by telephone or Internet banking.
Please use the following details when making your payment by online banking to ensure that it will be receipted correctly.
- Enter the correct information in each of the 3 fields your bank provides for you; 'Particulars', 'Code', and 'Reference'.
|Enter the type of infringement: 'FREEDOM CAMPING'|| "INFRINGEMENT".|
Enter the Infringement Number from the Notice.
The number is found at the top of the infringement notice (currently up to four digits e.g. IN9999).
Please make sure the reference starts with the letters "IN" followed by the infringement number.
- Use the samples below to ensure you enter the correct Infringement Notice number on the notice .
Waitaki E-services ( credit cards)
- An infringement notice must be paid .
- A merchant fee of 2% normally applies to the payment, which is charged by the credit card and merchant service providers. Council does not retain any part of this fee.
- You should check with the Bank that issued your credit card for details about other fees or charges that may also apply, as this credit card transaction is carried out in terms of the arrangement between you and your card issuer.
- Transactions are processed by Council within three working days of the payment.
- At the end of a transaction, you will be given a reference number. Receipts for online payments are not available, however you can either print the screen or note down the details for future reference.
- Please contact us regarding refunds for overpayments or incorrect payments.
Terms and Conditions
What if I want to appeal a freedom camping fine?
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Drop in: To our Council office, 20 Thames Street, Oamaru
- Mail to: Waitaki District Council, Private Bag 50058, Oamaru 9444, New Zealand.
Application for exemption to restrictions