Drone permits

Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) rules require people to obtain approval from the landowner or the occupier of the land you want to fly over.

For Council owned land including open spaces, local road reserve, sports fields, beaches, parks and reserves you will to need apply for a permit.

How do I get a permit?

You need to be 16 years or over to apply for a permit or be supervising someone under 16 operating a drone.

Please be aware that permission can only be given in relation to land owned or administered by Waitaki District Council. You will still need to comply with the Civil Aviation Authority’s (CAA) rules, Part 101 when operating your drone.

What is the weight of the drone you want to fly?

  • Up to 15kg - please proceed with the application below.
  • 15-25kg you must obtain approval from Model Flying New Zealand before applying to the Council – refer CAA rule 101.202(6).
  • Over 25kg - you must apply to CAA before applying to Council. Include your approval confirmation from CAA with your application.

Application form

Where do I send my application?

Applications can be dropped at our Council offices in Oamaru, the Waihemo Service Centre in Palmerston, or posted to: Waitaki District Council, Private Bag 50058, Oamaru 9444.

Commercial flights

‘Commercial’ is defined as where an aircraft is operated in return for a financial payment to the person operating the aircraft. You need a permit to fly unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) over any public space for commercial purposes, including:

  • Film and television productions, including documentaries, TV shows and music videos
  • Commercials
  • Videos for the web
  • Student films.

Please contact us for information on getting a permit and the costs.